Thursday, December 6, 2007

Pettitte Chooses Yankees Over Retirement

Andy Pettitte, despite being only 35 years old has been contimplating retirement.

The Yankees however were able to sign him for 2007 with a player option worth $16 million for the 2008 season.

Unsure what he was going to do, the Yankee brass told him to take as long as he wanted to make up his mind.

Reportedly, Pettitte was contacted by teammate Derek Jeter, battery mate Jorge Posada, manager Joe girardi, and GM Brian Cashman telling him how much it would mean for him to return - and Pettitte did decide to retun.
A few days ago, Pettitte decided to come back to the Bronx in the last season that the Yankees will play in the "House That Ruth Built."

Yankees may even be looking to hold onto Pettitte past the 2008 season.

In an article on 12/04 by Bryan Hoch posted on Yankees.com called "Retirement Far From Pettitte's Mind," Pettitte told a Houston television station that he feels he could pitch for another decade.

Seems like Roger Clemens' idea of never retiting has begun to enter into Pettitte's mind.

Pettitte however did have reasoning for what he said. Yankees.com reported that Pettitte stated on KRIV-TV on 12/04, "I really believe now, especially after playing with the Astros and pitching with my elbow the way it was when I needed the surgery, I realize now I could go out and probably pitch until I'm 45 years old, because I was throwing 82-83 miles an hour and still being able to compete..."

Just because he may be able to pitch for another 10 seasons doesn't mean that he will, but doesn't mean he won't pitch for a few more years.

Also, according to an article posted on 12/4 on ESPN.com, entitled "Pettitte Feels Healthy Enough To Maybe Pitch Beyond 2008," Pettitte stated on the Houston Television Station, KRIV that this decision was not one that he too lightly, saying, "One year could lead to another maybe. For the main reason, if I'm healthy and if my family wanted to support it again, we would consider it. But also the Yankees are going to have a new stadium. I know down the road when we get through this season that will be in the back of my head also. That would be awfully nice to play in that new stadium. I'd be lying if I didn't say that was some of the stuff that you think about. I realize there are some things that could be enticing that tie me into playing even another year."

The Yankees surely hope that is the case, but for now have to be content with Pettitte returning for a 2008 campaign in pinstripes.

Donning the Yankees uniform past this year will in all likelyhood be a conversation for the Yankees and Pettitte next winter.

No comments: